Thursday, October 25, 2007

Welcome to my world!

Welcome to the world of my brain! Pretty scary thought isn't it? Well, hopefully the thoughts and ideas and opinions that come out of my head and will be posted on this blog will be anything but scary. Hey, this is my little, itty bitty corner and space in the information superhighway called the web. I'll have an opportunity if I'm brave and crazy enough to take my thoughts into the marketplace of ideas that is now found in cyberspace. I hope this blog will be a friendly place to share ideas, info, viewpoints and have some good, honest dialogue on various subjects of interest.

The communication of ideas and the exchanging and debating of thinking has never been more easy and available than the day and age in which we live. We’re truly witnessing something bigger than a fad or trend. We are seeing what's been called by some, "an epoch cultural change." We talking about the technological revolution. It has created an incredible world that is global, interactive. The Internet alone has spawned numerous communities of every kind imaginable.

My hope and prayer as a Christian and minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ is to help fulfill two passages of Scripture that really sum up my purpose in creating this blog site. John 8:32 "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free," and 2 Corinthians 10:5 "we demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

Besides being a preacher and teacher of God's Word, I love to read books, fish, play sports (watch sports--Go Sooners!!) I am a husband and God has blessed me with an incredible and beautiful Christian wife in Maggie. She has made me a better person in every sense of the word and couldn't imagine doing my ministry without her. I have three of the most precious and amazing children in the world--Megan 5, Mackenzie 3, and Camden 1 (in three weeks!). They are my pride and joy in life. I also have a wonderful larger family - terrific caring mother, two great older brothers and their wives and their children (my nieces and nephews), the best mother and father-in-law a person could ask for, a brother-in-law who is a fellow minister in the church, and two awesome sister-in-laws. I also have wonderful grandparents on my family's side and two sets of grandparents on my wife's side.

The Lord has so richly blessed me and been so good to me with the people he has put into my life. I work with a great church family at the Central Church of Christ in Shawnee, OK and love the life the Lord is allowing me to live in service to Him.

So, I hope this blog site is a blessing to others and honors God.

humbly,

Robert (Rob) Prater

2 comments:

Barrett (youth minister) said...

Hey Robert! So, what are we going to talk about this week? 1 Peter 3:19 and Jesus preaching to the spirits in prison? or maybe more appropriate for the month of October 1 Samuel 28 and Saul and the Witch of Endor. Later Gater! Barrett

preacherprater said...

We're going to talk about the new book by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons, in association wtih George Barna, entitled, "unChristian" - What a New Generation Really Thinks about Christianity...and Why It Matters “ This groundbreaking research reveals that Christianity has an image problem. This according to the perceptions of 16-29 year olds. According to this latest “report card”, Christian are failing to represent Christ to the world. Descriptions like “hypocritical,” “insensitive,” and “judgmental,” are the impression of many young Americans regarding Christians.