Friday, December 21, 2007

Merry Tossmas

The debate rages on ... is it Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? Or have you heard of Merry Tossmas? Trust me, you'll like this......

Now for most of my life, we were people who didn't celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday but as a family one. But I must admit this cultural battle we're currently engaged in to reject Christ from the American scene is very distrubing to me.

So find myself in a some what of a dilemma. On one hand, I, for one, want to continue to help people understand that Christmas is a human tradition. (Mt. 15:7-9; Gal. 4:10-11; Col. 3:178) But on the other hand as well, I also want people to think of Christ--at least for these few days. I want the Lord to be first in the hearts of everyone all seasons!

So the bottom line is for me, we celebrate the cultrual aspects of the Christmas holiday with our families, just like we do all the other national holidays (Fourth of July, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, etc.) And I'm glad when these national holidays have spiriutal/Christian overtones to them.

Becasue I do try to make the most of this time of the year as one of the best times afforded to the Christian to share the Good News that Jesus saves! Since this is a holiday in which so many minds are thinking about Christ, (which is never a bad thing) what a great opportunity to lift up the name of Jesus to a lost and dying world.

The message of the manger must always point people to the cross – the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. The important thing is that He was born and that He died for our sins. We’re not worshiping a helpless infant lying in a manger. We’re worshiping a risen and exalted Christ who has all power in heaven and in earth (Matthew 28:18).

Merry Christmas to all of you and God bless,

Robert Prater

No comments: